The Big Idea

Folly by definition is a foolish action or idea, the word absurdity and phrase "lack of sense" seem to continually arise. But what would life be like without these follies? Why not embrace these ideas and get a little nutty! This is my journal for those adventures, and along the way I hope to meet new people, take the path less traveled, have some fun, and spread the story of this sustainable journey we call life! Here you’ll find short anecdotes about my life, links to enlightenment, and opinions on how to have fun! I would love to hear about your folly, so feel free to e-mail me, I might just post them, and thanks for visiting!

Monday, June 23, 2008

Day 29 June 22nd

Day 29 June 22nd


Stats: 65.65 Miles, 5:34 Hours, 11.7 MPH Average, 31.7 MPH Top Speed, 80’s and Sunny.

I got up in San Clemente and started with an easy morning ride down the coast and through Camp Pendleton marine base to Del Mar.

There was a bike path the whole 40 miles, and throughout the morning I saw hundreds of other bikers, none that were on tour however! I few I chatted with and they were amazed that I had come so far, others just whizzed by in their fancy outfits with their expensive bikes. I kept getting the feeling that some of the bikers resented that I was in their way on their Sunday ride, trudging along at my slow 11 MPH, so I made a vow to myself that the next pack of roadies wouldn’t just zoom by me so easily. Roadies by the way is biker slang for road bikers, but I use it to describe those that wear matching unitards and call their sunglasses shields, many of them have this attitude that if you don’t have the good looking gear and a smooth bike you’re a joke. Well as the next pack arrived on my tail I hit the gas, touring bags, sandals, shorts, sun glasses, no shirt, scratched and squeaky bike, towel flapping off my rear stack and all, and rode with them for over 10 miles. Every time they would look back in their little mirrors and see I was still with them they would get out of their saddle and pedal harder. To no avail though because I was always ready, I had 28 long days behind me and could out pedal every one of them with or without all my gear. It was fun toying with them, and before I knew it I was in Del Mar and I was forced to give them their relief and break away from the pack.

I stopped in Del Mar because Mel and Rob were there working at the county fair. We got to hang out a bit and relax and it was so great to finally see some familiar faces. The trips end was actually in sight now and there was a bit of relief to knowing that tonight I didn’t have set up my tent. I left Del Mar and pushed out the last 25 miles of the day down to San Diego to Mel and Rob’s house.

The short journey took me through some cool little beach towns just north of the city and despite all the traffic I was able to make it to the house just as Mel and Rob rolled up. We ran some errands together, ate In-And-Out Burger, and relaxed, finally I was there, San Diego, it seemed so far away and finally after 29 long days I had made it. Now all I have left is a short 15 miles to the border and my riding for this trip is over!

No comments:

Post a Comment