The Big Idea

Folly by definition is a foolish action or idea, the word absurdity and phrase "lack of sense" seem to continually arise. But what would life be like without these follies? Why not embrace these ideas and get a little nutty! This is my journal for those adventures, and along the way I hope to meet new people, take the path less traveled, have some fun, and spread the story of this sustainable journey we call life! Here you’ll find short anecdotes about my life, links to enlightenment, and opinions on how to have fun! I would love to hear about your folly, so feel free to e-mail me, I might just post them, and thanks for visiting!

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Day 25 June 18th

Day 25 June 18th


Stats: 58.81 Miles, 5:36 Hours, 10.4 MPH Average, 39.4 MPH Top Speed, 80’s and sunny with an hour or so of over 100 degree heat.

Today started off great, I woke up early since I went to bed at 8, and was ready to ride by 7:30. The day was to be long and hard, with California’s Big Sur in my sights. And within 100 feet of starting I was blazing up a steep mile long hill, things looked dismal, but I was able to ride all day, up and down, in relative peace.

The biggest fear or obstacle about riding the Big Sur is the narrow shoulderless roads and constant barrage of traffic. Lucky for me I didn’t see much traffic and the ride went smooth. I stopped in the town of Big Sur for a few hot dogs at lunch and once I finished I was immediately greeted with the steepest hill of the day, and probably the rest of the trip. Highway 1 goes inland at Big Sur which means the temperatures soared, by the time I was done with the first climb my cycle computer was reading 107. That’s right, I only have 2 digits for the temp, and it says 07, so it was pretty damn hot and miserable.

(I even designed a new style, hot weather capes, for when it's too hot to wear but to sunny to not wear. Also notice the new 08 mens short style, for those that don't like to wear bike shorts alone, now you have an option, do the roll!!)

But once I got back to the coast the temps were back in the 80’s and enjoyable. My last part of the day took me through the tiny one shop town of Lucia where I got a $2.75 packet of ramen for dinner, and onto camp. Oh ya, I was able to stop at a state park 2 miles from my camp spot, and take a free hot shower, which was amazing after a long hot day, before ending at my sea side veranda that I am now enjoying. Since I only did 58 miles today, I was showered and had my tent set up by about 4:30, the earliest I have ever gotten into camp. Finally I have a chance to hike, relax, and pull out the dusty book I brought that I have until now had no time for. That’s all for today!! Molly you would have hated the Big Sur, huge hills, crazy heat, and little space to stop along the way, but you would love this campsite, I am right on the ocean, in a soft grassy stop nestled in the shade of an eucalyptus grove, it’s truly amazing, I wish you were here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment