The Big Idea

Folly by definition is a foolish action or idea, the word absurdity and phrase "lack of sense" seem to continually arise. But what would life be like without these follies? Why not embrace these ideas and get a little nutty! This is my journal for those adventures, and along the way I hope to meet new people, take the path less traveled, have some fun, and spread the story of this sustainable journey we call life! Here you’ll find short anecdotes about my life, links to enlightenment, and opinions on how to have fun! I would love to hear about your folly, so feel free to e-mail me, I might just post them, and thanks for visiting!

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Day 26 June 19th

Day 26 June 19th

(This is actually from last night, great sunset though!)

Stats: 95.69 Miles, 8:09 Hours, 11.7 MPH Average, 38 MPH Top Speed, low 100’s and super sunny!

I forgot to mention my new friend Asher, who at 17 and just a senior in high school is riding from San Francisco to San Luis Obisbo. Keep riding Asher, your doing the right thing!!

Well I got up early today to go for the big 100 mile mark, and things started off rough. I drank some of the campgrounds water last night, which I think was not potable, and woke up with a bit of a stomach ach, to top that off the air was warm and heavy with the smell of fire. My tent was even covered in ash when I awoke, and to add to that I still had the last two hills of the Big Sur to ride through. Either way I got on my bike and was on the road by 6:45.

The miles flew by, and the hills turned out to be fairly easy. I finished the hill section, and started the long flat journey to Morro Bay, which is where I got to see my first colony of elephant seals.

There they were, just fighting and sunning just a few feet from me, and other than the stink it was an amazing sight. The rest of the day rolled on smoothly, I was even told about a less hilly way to my destination which was great. However the less hilly way was also 5 miles shorter than the route I picked, so even though it was nice to cut some miles off I was not able to reach the goal of 100 miles in one day.

Another time I guess. Anyway, I am just south of Pismo Beach, a sand dune Mecca for ATV’ers, and have a great camp spot walking distance from the ocean, so… So long for now, I am going to hit the surf and cool off a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment